Monday 26 May 2014

REVIEW : Simple Perfection (Perfection #2) by Abbi Glines


SUMMARY :


Woods had his perfect life mapped out for him. Rise up the ranks of the family business. Marry the rich girl of his parents’ dreams. Pretend that wealth and privilege was all he’d ever wanted. Then a girl named Della breezed into town, a beautifully imperfect stranger who captured his heart and opened his eyes to a new kind of future. Woods is ready and willing to sacrifice everything for her when the sudden death of his father leaves him with his mother to care for and a business to manage.

Della is determined to be strong for Woods, even as she’s quietly falling to pieces. No matter how far from home she’s run, the ghosts of her past have never stopped haunting her. Struggling to hide her true feelings from Woods, Della fears she can’t be his rock without dragging him down into the darkness with her. But is she strong enough to let go of the last thing holding her together?


REVIEW :


"Right now he needs you, I get it. But, Della, you started this journey to live life. Don’t forget that. You left one prison; don’t find yourself in another." 

I’m going to keep this review short and “meh” because every road I can think to take leads to spoiler town and that’s not what I’m trying to accomplish. I love the fact that Della took some time to find her inner strength. I wish she would’ve gone about it in a different manner, but the finished product was a stronger, more rational and mature Della. No complaints there. What the hell happened to Woods, though? I know he went through a whole lot during the course of the story, but he didn’t seem to handle any of the situations in typical “Woods” form. The bitches that ended up creating havoc in both he and Della’s lives were never really handled AND he turned into a freakishly clingy version of his former self. That behavior makes sense towards the very end of the story but not before then. Whether his sense of responsibility was so great he turned into a clinger, I can’t say. All I know is I didn’t enjoy reading it. 

This book took a turn for the worse for me at the 85% mark. It just seemed like drama for the sake of drama and I really think Ms. Glines missed the mark. To me it felt like needlessly sacrificing a part of the legacy that is this series simply to set up another book and it was done in a matter of a page or two. I didn’t mind the last 10% of this book being used to set up the next two books of the series, but this added little bit of heartache at the end didn’t work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment