Saturday 5 October 2013

Review : Stripped (Stripped #1) By Brooklyn Skye


Summary :

“I like you.” His voice is low and soft, which I don’t deserve. I look away, down the rutted parking lot.
“Don’t... waste those words on me.”
He touches my cheek. “You just need someone to show you.”
“No.” I ease back again. “I don’t. So please, Torrin, stop trying to swoop in and save me. I don’t need saving.”

College freshman, Quinn Montgomery, will do anything to avoid the mistake her sister made — killing herself over a boy. But when she is forced into nude modeling at a local college to support her family after a bankruptcy, she begins to crack, just enough to let Torrin, the university’s top varsity oarsman, see that the real Quinn is not as feisty and unapproachable as she wants everyone to think. But letting someone in comes at a steep cost and, it turns out, Torrin is connected to Quinn’s family in more ways than she could ever imagine.

Review :

I liked this book. Quinn was a good lead character but I do think more could have been done with the story. I really liked Torrin but thought the whole relationship was rushed. Maybe I need to get out more but would he really latch onto Quinn that quickly and change her mind about everything with a couple of meetings? I think because there were so many different elements (i.e. her sister's death, her father's demise, her "boyfriend" and her new friendship with Torrin) everything was done quickly and you didn't get too detailed in anything. 

Torrin fell in love with Quinn, confessed about his feeling but still Quinn doesn’t know what to do, she knows she likes Torrin but the incident about her sister blocking her. You know, what I like with Torrin, he confessed about his feeling, but the girl chooses not to entertain it, and Torrin respected her decision. That scene is not something I usually read or seen from the book. 

I did realize the plot twist pretty early on, but when it happened to our characters and certain truths were revealed, you couldn't help but feel bad for them and hope they get their happy ending.
Skye does utilize flashbacks that segue perfectly into the novel's present- moments of Quinn and her older sister, that really impact the book and make you hurt that much more for Quinn and her loss.
Overall, I would recommend this book because even through the brokenness of the characters and their flaws, comes a message of hope and finding peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment