Thursday 27 September 2012

Graffiti Moon By Cath Crowley Review


Graffiti Moon revolves around characters named Lucy,Ed,Leo,Jazz,Dylan and Daisy.Lucy is crazy and head over heels in love with shadow and she hasn't even met him yet nor has she seen him.Whenever she gets news about his whereabouts, she’d head over to his location asap hoping to reach before he leaves, but that never happens. At a midnight party, Ed suggests Lucy going out to find Shadow, who only paints his graffities at night.Ed makes the suggestion impulsively. He doesn’t want to be near Lucy, if he can help it, because of their past.Lucy can't stand Ed because of the way their first date ended years ago (him grabbing her arse and her breaking his nose) but she finds herself spilling all her hopes and dreams to Ed and finding herself falling for him and caring less about her fantasy of Shadow.When Lucy agrees, it is up to him to bring her to the places where Shadow painted. They roam the streets at night as Lucy takes in the art of the person she has never met. The night isn’t long; truth is knocking at the door. Shadow is right where Lucy can see him.
Readers know the identity of Shadow right from the very start of Graffiti Moon. The chapters alternate between Lucy and Ed. We get to read their point of views, and it’s really interesting because their point of views for some scenes overlap, and what they perceive about the words or body language of the other person is enlightening.The whole story and romance is super cute, and it really is the interactions between Lucy and Ed, the careful way they open up to each other, the way they share their secrets in the dead of the night, that makes Graffiti Moon so good. If you love a good contemporary that brings up some interesting themes like how we all have our secrets while still keeping a light, entertaining tone, Graffiti Moon is the book for you!It's definitely one of the most beautiful, charming and enjoyable books I have read.

Fav Quotes -

She’s the strangest girl I’ve ever met. I didn’t know she was this strange when I asked her out in Year 10. I’m not sure I would have asked her if I did. ‘So how did our conversation go? The one you had in your head?’


“I liked that he had hair that was growing without a plan. A grin that came out of nowhere and left the same way.”

I take off my helmet and lie there, catching my breath. ‘Ed? Are you alive?’
‘Yes,’ he says from somewhere close by. ‘And that’s genuinely surprising since your bike went over me about halfway down. You’re a very dangerous girl to date.’
‘We’re not on a date.’
‘Lucky me. I might be dead if we were.

‘What do you care if I’m not going out with Beth? You’re on an all-night adventure to find Shadow so you can do it with him.’
‘Lie down,’ she says. ‘I want to get my bike and finish the job.’

“You know who Mr. Darcy is?"
"I exist, therefore I know who Mr. Darcy is.”

“I come out of the bathroom and the first thing I see is Ed. Okay, it was a long shot, but I was half hoping he would cease to exist while we were gone.”

“You say one more word to anyone and I'm telling people you cried in here tonight because you thought Daisy was breaking up with you.' 'You wouldn't.' Leo's phone rings. 'He would,' he says, laughing as he answers it.”

“I want to sit on the other side of the table from him so he doesn't think I'm interested, but there's no room on the other side so I sit as far away from him as I can and try to have an out-of-body experience.”

“I can't believe you're still mad at me," Ed says.
"You grabbed my arse."
"You broke my nose."
"You broke his nose?" Jazz asks. "You grabbed her arse?"
"It was two years ago-"
"Two years, four months, and eight days," I tell him.
"-and I was fifteen, and I slipped and she broke my nose."
"Wait a minute. How do you slip onto someone's arse?"
Jazz asks.
"I meant slipped up. I slipped up and she broke my nose."
"You're lucky that's all I broke," I say.
"You're lucky I didn't call the police."
Leo, Dylan, and Daisy slid into the booth. "Did you guys know that Lucy broke Ed's nose? Jazz asks.
Ed closes his eyes silently and bangs his head on the wall.”

No comments:

Post a Comment